" "

It is possible to obtain a visa through your significant other and you don’t even have to be married. For example, if you are a U.S. citizen, you can bring your fiancé to the United States with the intention of getting married. You could secure a K-1 nonimmigrant visa for your fiancé to travel to the United States by filing an I-129F fiancé petition, amongst other required forms.
Los Angeles Immigration Law
If you are living in Los Angeles or anywhere else in the United States and want to bring your fiancé here to get married, you will need an I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancé. Please note that California residents and residents of other states that recognize marriage equality may petition for their same-sex fiance. It is a six-page form with nine pages of instructions with a $340 filing fee. If successful, you will then be able to bring your fiancé, and even your fiancé’s children, a K-1 Visa that can lead to permanent residency and even citizenship within three years (if you are a U.S. citizen, 5 years if you are a legal permanent resident).

A K-1 Visa is a nonimmigrant visa that permits a foreign-citizen fiancé to travel to Los Angeles, or anywhere in the United States, to marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor. As long as the citizen and foreign citizen are married within 90 days, the foreign citizen will be able to apply for adjustment of status to become a permanent resident. Of course, this process cannot even begin if the government does not recognize that the two parties are actually engaged.

In order to secure an approved Form I-129F, both parties must be free to marry at the time the petition is filed. They also must have met in person within the past two years. This means that fiancés who have only “met” online may not qualify. Those who have not met in person within two years may still apply if they are able to prove that the only reason they haven’t met recently is because of economic hardship.

There are many hoops to jump through and many forms to file in order to receive a fiancé visa. You will need to file a Form I-129F. Once approved, you must apply for a visa at the consulate or Embassy abroad. You will also need to have a medical examination, proper vaccinations, and proof of financial support. If you are looking for more information, please contact the Immigration Law Offices of Los Angeles, P.C. at (800) 792-9889.