" "

There are many different types of visas that allow people to travel, work, and live in the United States temporarily. Q-1 visas, for example, allow people to come to the United States as part of an established international cultural exchange program. Programs that qualify provide employment opportunities, practical training, and a sharing of the participants’ native culture and history.

There are many benefits to the Q-1 visa program. If you are in the United States on a Q-1 visa, you may:

  • Have an opportunity to receive wages and training.
  • Stay in the United States for as long as the program lasts up to 15 months plus 30 days to depart.
  • Bring your spouse and children with you as long as your children are under the age of 21 and unmarried. Once you receive a Q-1 visa, your spouse and children will then be able to obtain a Q-3 visa.

Unlike many other types of visas, there is no set limit on the number of Q-1 visas given out each year. Not every applicant, however, is qualified. You must be at least 18 years old. You must have been accepted into an international cultural exchange program and possess the training and education needed to perform the services expected of you.

Your employer will have to prove that they qualify as well. Employers interested in obtaining Q-1 visa will have to prove that they actively conduct business in the United States, that they operate programs that serve the purposes of international cultural exchange, and have the ability to provide financial support to the Q-1 visa holder. They will also have to prove that they can provide proper wages and working conditions.

If you are interested in training, working, and living in the United States, make sure you research all of your legal options. You should also consider going over all the paperwork with an experienced Los Angeles immigration lawyer who can successfully guide you through the process.