" "

If you are an entrepreneur or worker seeking to enter the United States to do business, you have a wealth of options from which to choose. Which visa is best for your situation depends on what skills you have, why you are visiting the United States, and how long you wish to stay. Your experienced Los Angeles immigration attorney can help you determine exactly which visa is right for you.

An H-1B “specialty occupation” visa is often appropriate for individuals who plan to work for the business they start in the United States. In order to qualify for such a visa, the worker must meet several requirements. An H-1B visa is typically good for up to three years, though an extension may be granted that increases the total period of stay to six years. In some cases, an extension beyond six years may be granted.

You may qualify for an H-1B visa if:

  • You have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent. An “equivalent” amount of experience is three years’ work experience in your field for every year of education. You may be able to qualify based on a combination of education and experience.
  • You will be working in a “specialty occupation,” or one that requires a bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field of study. Many math, science, engineering, and technical fields are considered “specialty occupations.”
  • You will be earning the prevailing wage for your work, which may be paid either as a salary or as an hourly wage.

You may also need to meet other requirements before an H-1B visa is granted. Speak to an experienced attorney to learn more.