" "

This is the first part of a three-part series concerning EB-5 investment visas, their guidelines, and how you can qualify for their coverage.

To qualify for an EB-5 investment visa, applicants must make a significant investment in the U.S. economy, either by opening a new business or by investing in certain existing job-creating enterprises. They must generate a minimum number of new jobs and invest a minimum required amount of money into creating or maintaining these jobs.

The size of the investment required depends in part on where the investment is made. A smaller overall investment may be permitted if the investment is made in a Targeted Employment Area (TEA).

A Targeted Employment Area is:

  • A rural area that is not within the Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) of any city, or within the outer boundary of any city with a population of 20,000 or more, or
  • Within an MSA or outer boundary with an unemployment rate of at least 150 percent the national average.

In some situations, an investor may want to invest in a depressed area that is not currently recognized as a TEA by the U.S. Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS). An investor who wants to make an investment in an area that is not a TEA may gather evidence to present to USCIS that shows the area should qualify as a TEA. An experienced attorney can help investors gather evidence and identify promising areas for investment.

If you’re looking into ways to obtain the visa or green card you need to stay in the United States, don’t wait: contact the Immigration Law Offices of Los Angeles, P.C. Our experienced legal team will help you navigate the complex immigration process. Contact us today to learn more.

Come back for part two of five, an in-depth look at non-immigrant visas.