" "

The K-1 visa, also known as a “fiancé(e) visa,” applies to a foreigner who is also the fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen. The K-1 visa allows the fiancé(e) to travel to the United States and to marry his or her sponsor within 90 days of arriving in the country. Then, the foreign citizen may apply for adjustment of status as a permanent resident.

The children of a K-1 visa applicant may receive K-2 visas, if they are eligible. Because the process can be complicated, the help of an experienced attorney can be invaluable.

In order to qualify for the K-1 visa, both the U.S. citizen and the foreign citizen must meet certain requirements. For instance, the two must have met in person within the past two years in most cases. This requirement may be waived, however, if it would impose an extreme hardship or if the culture of either prospective spouse prohibits them from meeting before marriage. Both must be legally free to marry one another at the time they file the petition for the visa, and they must be able to legally marry in the U.S. state in which they plan to marry.

The first step in the process is to file the petition for the K-1 visa. At the Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C., our experienced attorneys can help you understand which visa best fits your needs and complete the steps in an often-complex process. Contact us today to learn more.