" "

Get a Green Card Marriage Now

Green Card Marriage Happy Couple encouraging you to start your process

About the Green Card

Green Card marriage (formally known as Adjustment of Status) is the process that you can use to apply for a Green Card when you marry a U.S. Citizen.

Green Card Marriage Same Sex

Who Qualifies

You must: Be physically present in the U.S. (If not, there is an option called "Consular Processing"). Have been inspected and lawfully admitted into the U.S. And not have a record that renders you inadmissible. (Although, you may apply for a Waiver).

Green Card Marriage interracial Couple

Why choosing us

The Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles is a 5 STARS RATED Law Firm on Google for a reason: Our clients are our priority and we work around the clock. Expect a fast paced firm that takes care of you.

"I highly recommend ILOLA and the services of Linda Lee. Linda and her team, especially Athina Doria, went above and beyond to ensure my case was handled with the upmost importance. All communications, be it via email or phone, were professional, knowledgeable, timely, and supportive as well as friendly and compassionate."
"I cannot express how wonderful, professional, and responsive Linda Lee and her team were. From the very first moment I talked to Linda, I knew she understood the urgency, and knew exactly what it would take to get me where I needed to be. I am so extremely thankful to Linda and ILOLA for helping me obtain the needed visa."
"If you are looking for a great immigration lawyer - please, look no further! Ms Linda Lee is truly amazing. Not only she is extremely knowledgeable and experienced in immigration field - she is super attentive and dedicated and will treat your case as her own. She is always available and will spend extra time with you."
marriage couple green card

Marriage Green Card Common Questions

Why hiring an immigration lawyer?
You and your spouse are starting your new life together in the US and have enough to worry about! An experienced attorney will assess your case and make sure everything is done and filed correctly. No unnecessary risks, no headaches, just an approval notice. Have the peace of mind of knowing your application is done correctly and your future here is secure.

What documentation is needed through the process?
2 of the primary forms are:
– Form I-130: Petition for Immediate Relative, which is necessary for the validation of the marriage.
– Form I-485: Adjustment of Status, which determines whether or not the applicant is admissible and qualifies for permanent residency status. 

Timeline of the process
– Submit form I-130 and I-485
– Receive receipt notice.
– Bio-metrics appointment.
– Check if USCIS submitted an RFE.
– Receive EAD (work permit) 
– Interview with an immigration officer.
– Receive your Permanen Resident Card.

What happens after you receive your Green Card?

When the application is approved, the applicant spouse receives a conditional green card (CR1), which is valid for 2 years if the marriage is less than 2 years when the green card is issued. It’s important that 90 days before the end of this conditional period, the couple files together the form i 751 (“Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence”) in order to obtain a green card through marriage valid for 10 years.

What happens when the foreign spouse is not in the US?

If the foreign spouse is living abroad, he or she can still apply for a green card through marriage, but this time the process is called “Consular Processing”, as part of it will take place at his/her home country’s consulate.

Linda Lee is the Managing Attorney of the Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles. She has been practicing immigration law for the past 20 years.

She has successfully represented and received approvals on more than 4,000 immigration cases, including marriage cases, fiancé visas and naturalizations.

Linda Lee
Managing Attorney

More about the Green Card through Marriage Process:

  • Form I 130 Petition for Alien Relative: The purpose of this form is to validate the marriage. In order to do so, you must submit evidence to USCIS that can prove you have a bona fide marriage. Documents that are usually submitted in this step are the marriage certificate, photographs together and joint financial statements (like bank accounts or a lease). The i 130 processing time is about 10.6 months on average, but you should always check the USCIS latest updates on processing times.
  • Form I 485 – Adjustment of Status: The purpose of the i 485 form is to determine if you are eligible to get a Green Card. Some documents that will be requested here are passport-style photos, long-form birth certificate and passport.
  • Form I-693 – Medical Exam Results: You must get checked by a USCIS approved civil surgeon.
  • Form I-864 – Affidavit of support: Its purpose is to establish that your US citizen spouse can support you financially.
  • Form I-944 – Declaration of self-sufficiency: It checks your likelihood to become a “public charge”.
  • Form i765 – Application for Employment Authorization: Once approved, you can legally work in the U.S.
  • Form I-131 – Application for Advance Parole: Once approved, you may travel internationally while your case is pending.

Government fees payable directly to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security:
– i-130 filing fee: $535
– i-485 filing fee: $1,140
– Biometrics service fee: $85

  • If you are a U.S citizen and your fiancé lives abroad and you want to bring her/him to the US and have your wedding here, then the K-1 visa might be the right path for you. This visa allows the foreign fiance to come to the US so the couple can marry within 90 days and afterwards apply for a marriage green card.


  • If your immigrant fiancé lives abroad and you are looking to have your wedding abroad (in your fiance’s home country for example) but then live together in the US, we can submit an application for Green Card through Marriage via Consular Processing.

If you have overstayed your visa in the United States, you might still be eligible to apply for an adjustment of status through marriage if you are married to a US Citizen. If you have overstayed, don’t hesitate to contact our office at (213) 375-4084 to speak with an experienced attorney who can advise you on what your options are.

Book a Free Consultation

Let us know how to get back to you.

Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles

A legal team with a proven track record of 35,000 cases approved and 80 years of combined experience.

 99.9% approval rate
5-star rating on Google
 24-hour response or less

We’ll take care of your immigration case right the first time.

Contact us