" "

+1 (213) 375-4084 (US/INT)

Home > Immigration Law > Adjustment of Status Through Parent/Child

Green Cards for Parents & Children in California

Adjustment of Status through Parent/Child

Families are meant to be together; they shouldn’t be separated by borders or oceans. Sadly, there are many relatives who live countries apart although they desire to be united. And while the United States allows citizens to bring their immediate relatives over, the bureaucratic processes involved can be quite complex and confusing. Legal assistance is often a necessity in these matters.

At the Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C., our attorneys specialize in immigration law and can help you bring your family members into the U.S. without delay. To learn more, please call us today at (800) 792-9889.

U.S. citizens over the age of 21 may petition for their child (unmarried and under the age of 21) and parents to come and live permanently in the United States. There are no fiscal year visa limits for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens since they hold special immigration priority and therefore do not have to wait for a visa number to become available to them.

Applying for a Green Card while in the United States

Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens who wish to apply for a green card while inside the U.S. may do so through either a one or two-step process.

In the one-step process, the eligible relative may file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, at the same time the petitioning U.S. citizen files Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. If the concurrent filing goes through, the relative may receive permanent residence status.

In the two-step process, the petitioning U.S. citizen must file Form I-130 and have it pending or approved. Then the eligible relative should receive Form I-797, Notice of Action, and afterwards may file Form I-485, including a receipt of the Form I-130 or the Form I-797.

Applying for a Green Card while outside of the United States

An immediate relative of a U.S. citizen who lives outside of the United States and wishes to get a green card should initiate consular processing, which involves the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) working with the Department of State to issue a visa based on an approved Form I-130. Once the relative receives the visa, s/he can then use it to travel to the United States and become a permanent resident upon admission into the nation’s port of entry. For more information, visit the USCIS webpage.

Helpful Immigration Lawyers in Southern California

If you are currently seeking permanent resident status in the U.S. or are a citizen who wishes to have a family member admitted into the country, please get in touch with the legal team at the Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C. right away. We will provide you with excellent legal counsel throughout every stage of the application process so you can avoid the pitfalls that lead to aggravating delays and denials. You may call or fax our office, or even send a message directly to our legal staff online.

Share with a friend:

Read our Client Reviews on: