" "

+1 (213) 375-4084 (US/INT)

Home > Immigration Law > Options For Abused Immigrants

Options For Abused Immigrants in Los Angeles

Abused Spouses, Children and Parents

Have you suffered abuse at the hands of a U.S. citizen or green card holder? Are you currently planning to, or are in the process, of immigrating to the United States? Does your current sponsor threaten your safety and the well-being of your children or parents? The Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C. and attorney Michael Piston want you to understand two very important things – you are not alone and help is available.

Over the years, the federal government, by way of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, has implemented a number of acts that give immigrants the ability to secure a visa or asylum outside of their current abusive situation. No matter the circumstance – whether you are an undocumented immigrant living with an abusive spouse, a victim of human trafficking or an individual residing legally with malicious sponsors – if you have been victimized or mistreated by a United States citizen or permanent resident, there are rights available to you.

The Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C. has helped many people in similar circumstances and we understand that time and discretion is of the essence. By calling our office today, you are entitled to a free and entirely confidential consultation. Our team of immigration specialists will work tirelessly to help you, your family and your children secure a future free from continued antagonism and torment. Call now – (800) 792-9889.

What Options Do I Have?

Sadly, abuse in the immigration process can take on many forms; individuals seeking a new life in this country can face terrible indignities at the hands of a crooked sponsor or criminal. Fortunately, there are just as many options for those seeking a way out of the cycle of abuse. The following are just some of the potential routes abused immigrants can pursue:


This particular petition, Form I-918, is reserved for immigrants who have suffered incredible hardship through criminal activity on American soil or entering into the country. In order to be eligible the applicant must have endured severe abuse and assisted law enforcement officials with the investigation of the criminal case connected to the abuse in question. The types of criminal activity often associated with this visa include human trafficking, prostitution, drug sales, and any form of physical assault among other crimes. The U-Visa grants successful applicants immediate work eligibility and is applicable to children and spouses looking to enter the country. It is a path toward a green card and citizenship.


The Violence Against Women Act – Similar to the previously mentioned petitions, any battered relative, wife or child of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident may file a petition under the Violence Against Women Act without the abusers knowledge. If filed successfully, a Form I-360 grants the abused individual(s) temporary and later permanent residential status without the need of a petitioner, who in all likelihood, is also the abuser. This is a fast way to citizenship.

Do I Need An Immigration Lawyer?

Thankfully, when it comes to abuse, the United States provides a number of alternative options for those immigrants who are in oppressive or potentially dangerous situations. However, the required documentation and supporting materials can be incredibly complex, if not downright confusing. The Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C. has years of experience, helping individuals sort through the paper work and make the appropriate deadlines as necessary. If you have questions or are currently involved in an abusive relationship and wish to explore your options through immigration, call our office today at (800) 792-9889.

Share with a friend:

Read our Client Reviews on: