" "

+1 (213) 375-4084 (US/INT)

Home > Immigration Law > Spouse Of U.S. Citizen

Los Angeles Marriage Visa Lawyers

Green Cards: Spouse of a U.S. Citizen

If you are a U.S. citizen and over 21 years of age, you have the right to file a petition to get your foreign spouse a green card through marriage so that the two of you can share your lives without legal problems here in the United States. These immigration petitions should be processed quickly, but in fact, often take much longer than expected. It is always advised that you have legal assistance from a Los Angeles immigration lawyer when trying to deal with the immigration services. The process is complicated even in the simplest of cases, and attorney Linda Lee of The Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C. has the experience and skill to help you get the situation resolved.

How Does Marriage Affect Permanent Resident Status?

When the marriage is less than 2 years, your spouse will first be given a “conditional green card”. This green card through marriage allows them to live and work in the country, but does not give them full permanent residency status. If the USCIS determines that the marriage was for purposes of immigration, they can terminate the status, or if a divorce or annulment took place during that period of time, this will also occur.

To get the status moved into a permanent condition, the two spouses must jointly file a petition to remove the conditions. This must take place within 90 days prior to the second anniversary of the foreign spouse’s admission into the U.S.A. If you fail to file this form in a timely manner, there can be real difficulties. It is always best to have legal help in these important family matters.

The immigration petition filed in cases in which your spouse already lives in the U.S. is an I-130, and the application to adjust status, the I-485, should be filed concurrently. If they live outside the U.S., and you want to bring them into the country, Ms. Lee can help with the process as well. This is entirely different, and will be addressed through the U.S. Consulate in the country in which they reside.

Share with a friend:

Read our Client Reviews on: